Have you ever found yourself overwhelmed with options and unable to make a decision? This can be frustrating, because the feeling of uncertainty leaves you feeling confused, stuck, and just flat out drained.
In the world of business, decisions matter and indecisiveness can stall your progress and even stunt your creativity. Author John Mason once said “your destiny is not a matter if chance; it is a matter of choice.”
One day, my brother said to me “think, but don’t overthink,” and I use this advice daily. Overthinking can be paralyzing, and the amount of energy you put into thinking about the option won’t change the outcome. So, you just have to trust yourself and get pass this detrimental habit of indecisiveness so reach your success goals with assurance, clarity, and peace.
Here are a few tips to help you overcome indecisiveness.
- Be Fearless. Oftentimes, we’re indecisive because we’re afraid of the possible outcomes. We spend more time worrying about what could go wrong instead of thinking about what could go right. Even if you make a decision and what you fear does come to pass, just know you have what it takes to overcome it.
- Make a plan and trust your instincts. When you know what you want, it makes it easier to attain it. So, with your goal in mind, let your heart lead you in the right direction. Reflect on the lessons of past experiences and apply to them to your current situation. You’re smarter than you think, but give yourself permission to make a few mistakes along the way.
- Focus on one thing at a time. When you find yourself struggling to choose, pick one thing to focus on to help pull yourself out of this personal abyss. You can also think about the pros and cons of your options which will also help you make a decision.
- Just do it. Simply, pick an option and commit to it. Your commitment is what will bring your dreams into a reality.
- Breathe and let it go. Your nerves might be going haywire but do you best to refrain from wallowing in the thought of whether you made the right choice or not. Instead, occupy your mind with something else that is both constructive and positive.
Where we are today is a result of a decision we did or did not make. To be a successful entrepreneur, you have to do your best to get off the fence of indecisiveness and choose not to be afraid. Choose to believe in yourself and know that you are more resilient than you think.
In the words of Albert Einstein, “I think 99 times and find nothing. I stop thinking, swim in silence, and the truth comes to me.” Today, calm your mind and allow this moment of stillness help you find the answer you’ve been waiting on.
Danielle Harris is the CEO and founder of SDI, a leadership mentoring program for entrepreneurs, and earned her certification as a Personal Development Coach from the Coaching and Positive Psychology Institute, an affiliate of the International Coach Federation. Reach her 762-333-2868 or at SDILeadershipAcademy@gmail.com.